Friday, August 12, 2011


Every now and then life hands us a friendship that is so unexpected that it literally humbles us to the core.


My friendship with my brother has been that for me.


It's safe to say that growing up we weren't very close. I think I had big sister syndrome, also known as jealousy. Kevin was and still is the baby of the family. He was great kid, I was a rebel. I realize that now, but then I didn't. So I was a jerk. I used to beat him up, and I can still vividly remember the day he punched me back and it hurt. He got in trouble for that one. My past relationship definitely put a strain on our friendship as well. It's an extremely hard thing to witness someone you love and care about be treated poorly. There came a point that to stand by and watch me hurt and do nothing was too much for him. It's not that he threw the towel in on me but it was just too much, too painful to watch. And I get that. Looking back on those choices, that relationship, I realize how much pain I must have put my family through. It's something at times I wish I could take back, something I could fix. But life doesn't allow for that.


The relationship that my brother and I have now is an amazing one. He is without a doubt one of my best friends. It's the type of relationship that I longed for for many years. It's the kind that I want my children to have. I know that day or night he would be there for me, and that he's one of my biggest cheerleaders. Even though he's my little brother I feel that he cares for me the way an older protective brother would. He's not shy to tell me that a particular guy doesn't deserve me, which let's face it I need all the help I can get in that area.


But one of my favorite things about Kev is that he's real. He's not afraid to show emotion. He laughs, he cries. He tells those around him how he feels. He's the best uncle my kids could have and I have no doubt that when the day comes he will be the best father around. I'm beyond blessed to have Kevin in my life and I just wanted him to know.



~After a girl is grown, her little brother- now her protector-


seems like a big brother~




1 comment:

  1. Ah this is cute meg! your bro is one good guy. I know that first hand from being is friend. Tell him I said hello! Its been way too long since the last time I've seen him.

    I feel the same way about Clay, except we've always been buddies who beat up Heather ;)

    ReplyDelete